Friday, March 25, 2011

#17 Wizzard "See My Baby Jive" 1973


Every band needs a bass player who can take the stage in rollerskates.
Roy Wood formed Wizzard after The Move broke up and followed his muse into Phil Spector-ish Wall of Sound pop. "See My Baby Jive" hit #1 in the UK and Ireland but did nothing in the US.


They certainly made glam fun. Roy's war paint and crazy hair lit up TV screens in close-ups. But in the wide shots audiences might see a pantomine horse, costumed gorillas and angels on rollerskates.


"See My Baby Jive" held the top of the UK charts for an entire month before Suzi Quatro's "Can the Can" kicked it aside.




ABBA has said the song inspired the sound of "Waterloo". Still trying to figure out why "See My Baby Jive" didn't jive with American audiences.

See My Baby Jive

1 comment:

  1. I'd take The Move, Wizzard over ELO any day..Ball Park Incident's a stormer..

    Ps I've posted Soft Cell's forgotten single over my way (12" too}

    ReplyDelete