Thursday, May 23, 2013

40 Year Itch : My Latin Blood; My Soul Captive




[Purchase]

On May 23, 1973 Secos And Molhados ( The Dry and The Wet) entered the studio Prova to record their debut album which would become such a sensation in Brazil it would sell 300,000 copies in the first two months...well on its way to to selling more than a million copies.

Those who remember my naming the Novos Baianos album Acabou Chorare as the best of 1972 probably won't be surprised how much I like this 13-song effort. You'll hear a uniquely Brazilian take on glam rock with some passing references to Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Years before Kiss wore their black and white face paint on stage, Secos e Molhados performed "Sangue Latino" ( "Latin Blood") on Brazilian TV...in an unforgettable performance.



The lyrics:


I swore lies
And I go alone
 I assume the sins
 Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh!
 The northern winds
 Do not move mills
And I have left
It's just a whimper
 My life, my dead
My crooked roads
My Latin Blood
 Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh!
My soul captive
 I broke treaties
Betray the rites
 I broke the spear
 I launched into space
A cry, a rant
 And that matters to me
It is not to be won
My life, my dead
My crooked roads
My Latin Blood
My soul captive





Also remarkable is the sopranino voice of Ney Matogrosso whose career would last far longer than the band that launched him.

The Brazilian Rolling Stone magazine ranks Secos e Molhados #5 on their list of the Top 100 Brazilian albums and Ney Matogrosso as the #3 greatest singer.

The Brazilian Top 5

1.Acabou Chorare - Novos Baianos (1972)
2. Tropicália ou Panis et Circencis - Tropicália (1968)
3. Construcão - Chico Buarque (1971)
4. Chega de Saudade - João Gilberto (1959)
5. Secos e Molhados - Secos e Molhados (1973)

No comments:

Post a Comment