Wednesday, January 15, 2014

40 Year Itch: Stevie Wonder's 12 Fave Songs



Five months after the car accident that nearly killed him Stevie Wonder and his band Wonderlove played two shows in a single night at the Rainbow Theatre in London. Among those in the audience: Paul and Linda McCartney, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Ringo Starr, Pete Townshend and The Staple Singers. Radio Luxembourg recorded the second show for broadcast.



    Asked to make a Sophie's Choice between Innervisions and Talking Book, Wonder said he preferred Innervisions ,  telling Rolling Stone 
          
As far as tunes, I like several from Talking Book: "Looking For Another Pure Love", "Superstition" "You've Got It Bad, Girl"  and "Sunshine of My Life". 
             With Innervisions I was going through a lot of changes . Although I didn't know we were going to have an accident, I knew I was undergoing changes." Higher Ground" is the only time I've ever done a whole track in one hour, and the words just came out. That's the only time, and that's very heavy.  



He also gave BBC radio producers a list of his 12 favorite songs:

1. Thurston Harris "Little Bitty Pretty One.


2. Bread "Diary"
3. Don McLean "Vincent"
4. Jackie Wilson "That Is Why"


5. Ray Charles "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying"
6. Johnnie Taylor "I Believe In You"
7. Donny Hathaway "The Ghetto"


8. The Beatles "Something"
9. B.B. King "Stormy Monday"
10. Aretha Franklin "Angel"



11. Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"
12. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles "Tears of a Clown"

1 comment: