Wednesday, March 11, 2015

40 Year Itch : Love Is A Flower In My Soul


I have been in an arena with 40,000 people, but I was the loneliest man in there.
-Al Green



   Six months after his ex-girlfriend scalded him with boiling grits and then shot herself, Al Green released a single that seemed to say he still believed in the power and glory of love. He would later admit that this was a very lonely and unhappy time. He had a lot of questions, telling Ebony Magazine "What is happiness? To understand the reasons of life itself...things beyond my control. I have been in an arena with 40,000 people, but I was the loneliest man in there." t would find his The extended version on Soul Train is worth seeing for the drummer's theatrics in the final minute.  Later covered by Edywn Collins and Orange Juice.




No comments:

Post a Comment